Cuckooland is set in a spectacular location in a
steeply-sided valley overlooking the forest and is away from any
road. You need to walk down for 10 minutes from the car park and
more importantly when leaving, need to walk up what can in places be
a fairly steep path. Thus Cuckooland is not suitable for the
elderly, the disabled or those with a serious health condition. If
in doubt, please contact us before booking.
Cuckooland is situated on the Butogota-Ruhija road on
the eastern side of the park, 25kms from Butogota and 15kms from
Ruhija. It can be reached either from Kabale or from Ishasha Gate
of Queen Elizabeth National Park, taking around 2 ½ hours in either
case. A 4WD vehicle is advisable especially in the rainy season.
WHAT TO DO - ACTIVITIES
You could spend many days just relaxing, taking in
the natural beauty and looking at the prolific wildlife at the
forest edge. However, many other opportunities exist for the more
• Guided walks in the forest with a park ranger
• Swimming in the natural swimming pond
• Working out in the forest gym
• Touring the local community, including seeing their
farms, tea small-holdings, schools etc.
• Visit to a tea factory
• Gorilla tracking [this has to be booked in advance through Uganda Wildlife Authority (U.W.A.)
• Bird-watching with an expert local guide